IMPLEMENTED PROJECTS > Regional Economic Development
- Country – Mongolia
- Donor – GTZ
- Duration – 24 months
- Status – completed
The general objective of the programme is to improve existing conditions for the dynamic regional economic development in 2 pilot regions: Darkhan and Uliastai. This particular project covers component 3 of the programme: Support to rural SMEs and credit cooperatives.
The project through its activities contributed to sustainable measures aimed at poverty alleviation in the pilot regions. The main target group – small and medium enterprises and cooperatives, mostly operating in the agricultural and agri-business sector, received manifold support to develop their production, introduce new technologies and in general increase their market share.
The component focused on the support of rural SMEs, agro-enterprises and farming cooperatives and covered the following main areas:
- analysis of the potential of the local production chains and implementation of measures aimed at improvement of their efficiency;
- improvement of the cooperation between small and medium enterprises and between SMEs and various private and public service providers;
- introduction of modern management information systems;
- improvement of the availability of information, training and consulting in areas of management, product and technical innovations;
- support to establishment of agricultural extension services;
- improvement of SME representation through professional unions and organisations (chambers of industry etc);
- development of the existing ways for improvement of workers’ qualifications in the selected sectors, i.e. farmers, producers in the food and non-food sector.
Specific activities implemented under the project included:
- advice to national and local administration;
- development of measures targeted directly at rural SMEs;
- base line surveys, studies;
- extensive training programme;
- support to establishment of MIS and agricultural extension services;
- improvement of private business management know-how and access to resources (finances, inputs etc) for rural enterprises and private farmers.