EXPERTISE > Rural Development
The ultimate goal of rural development is to improve the standard of living of the rural population which includes:
- creation of employment opportunities and increase of household income;
- improvement of infrastructure, i.e. housing and housing opportunities, traffic and transport facilities, public transportation, shopping facilities, water supply and energy supply, medical care, educational system and training programmes, social & cultural events;
- sound socio-cultural and environmental conditions;
- strengthening of identification of local people with their village and region.
Rural development is only successful if elaboration of the regional concepts and their implementation is based on the responsible participation of the targeted rural community, and can only function within the complex context of nation-wide, regional and community development. Based on many years of experience, ABG applies broad-based approaches to ensure sustainable implementation of the rural development strategies.
The key qualifications of ABG in the sector are as follows:
- Policy advice to administrations on national, regional and local level in elaboration and implementation of Regional Development strategies. Extensive experience of collaboration with governments and local administrations;
- Integration of rural development strategies in the broader development agenda on national and regional level (specialised credit lines, national rural development plans etc.);
- Rural advisory services, including elaboration of strategies, policy advice, support to nation-wide associations, SMEDA networks etc.;
- Capacity building in local consulting services, including service package development, specific training, branches network development, dissemination strategies etc.;
- Development of specialised services and farmers self-help groups, including business planning units, veterinary services, machinery rings;
- Rural tourism.